With Hertz car hire in Perpignan you can see all that this beautiful city has to offer. Perpignan is the capital of the Pyrenees-Orientales. On the River Tet, 12 km west of the Mediterranean and 30 km north of the Spanish border at the base of the Pyrenees. Catalonia straddles the border and influences the language and cuisine in Perpignan.
Perpignan became French in 1659 as the result of the Treaty of the Pyrenees. During and after the Spanish Civil War (1936-39) the city received Spanish Republican refugees. After Algerian independence was conceded in 1960, it became a refuge, this time for French settlers arriving from North Africa. The city has been a market Centre for wine, fruit, and vegetables for some time.
Outside the railway station stands a statue of Salvadore Dal, A tribute to the man who helped the tourist trade by claiming after a visionary experience that Perpignan Railway Station was the centre of the universe.
Other places to visit include the Palais des Rois de Majorque, a medieval palace of the kings of Majorca dating from the 13th and 14th centuries. Partially restored and is found in the southern part of the town surrounded by the bastions of a great 17th and 18th century citadel.
There is also The Rigaud Museum which contains a collection of paintings by Catalan primitive artists and by the Perpignan native, Hyacinthe Rigaud. You can also visit the Castillet, a 14th and 15th century crenellated fort that once defended the principal gate in the city walls
Some of the driving rules of Perpignan are mentioned below-
• Always were your seatbelt.
• Always drive on the right.
• The speed limits can be changed in dry conditions or bad weather.
• 130 km/h is the limited speed at motorways.
• 110 Km/h is the limited speed at dual-carriage ways.
• On main roads, speed limit is 90 Km/h.
• The speed is limited to 80 Km/h in towns.
• Never drink and drive.
• If the visibility level gets lower than 50 m, the speed limits will be changed.
• Always carry your driver’s licence and insurance and registration certificates.